Saturday, November 28, 2009

Turtles and deer

My acupuncturist sent me a list of everything that is in my chinese herb preparation because I am sure my RE will ask for it. The names were all in chinese, so of course, being the OCD person I am, I set out to google each and every one of them (there were about 50). Turns out, I am ingesting ossified deer antler and fresh water turtle shell along with more mundane things such as cinnamon and Sargassum seaweed. No wonder that shit tastes so bad. Now I'm thinking I was better off not knowing.

I am sitting here now with a heating pad on my head since I'm working up to a real whopper of a headache. I know that most people find relief from headaches with cold, but cold does nothing for me except make me grumpy. I don't know if it's the acupuncture or herbs or what, but this period is different. Warning of possible TMI to come. Usually I have a tiny bit of spotting several days before my period starts, then one day of moderate bleeding, then very light for 2 days. This time I still had a little spotting for 2 days before I started, but the cramps were ridiculous even with no bleeding. Now I have had very heavy bleeding for 2 days, and the cramps are actually better now that I've really started. Since my acupuncturist told me a big part of my problem is blood stagnation, I'm wondering if what's happening is actually a good thing. I'm trying to be hopeful and have positive thoughts.

I have been feeling a little nervous about the upcoming surgery. I think it's a bit stressful since we are leaving to go to Florida for Christmas not even 2 weeks after my surgery and I'm worried about packing and travel and presents and the animals and getting everything ready. I'm sure it will all work out. We are taking the two little dogs with us to Florida, but have to leave Roo, our border collie here. I wish so much that he could come too, but I could never put him in the cargo area of a plane. The two little ones are small enough that they are able to travel with us on the plane.

I think maybe I am getting close to being ready to start commenting on other's blogs so that maybe some people will start reading mine. I have always been a really private person, so for some reason this seems hard to me. But I have gained so much comfort from reading other's experiences, and I think I would like to be a part of that community. Here's to branching out of your comfort zone!!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny
    I found your thread through mels and i thought i would drop you a line...
    I will be really interested to hear how those chinese herbs go and what they will do for your fertility.

    I am sorry about the AF this month... can i suggest considering going straight to IVF as IUI is not for everyone and the costs add up over months (particularly if time is not on your side). If i had my time back i would go straight to IVF I think.

    Go you for branching out of your comfort zone.
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SO tough to put yourself out there, but it has been such a loving and supportive community that I've found. I look forward to following your story and wish you the best of luck! Don't feel bad if you never comment on my blog- doesn't hurt my feelings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for getting out of your comfort zone. It's not easy, I know. Found your blog on the December ICLW list. I just turned 36 and also have endo. Just finished my first IVF, which ended up worse than a plain old negative with low/slow rising betas and a miscarriage. Blah. IF sucks and so does endo.

    Have you considered having immune testing done? Women with endo tend to have immune problems (positive antiphospholipid antibodies and natural killer cells) which can hinder implantation.

    I second what Bean stalk said about IUIs. Both my REs said (and I did my own research to verify) that the success rates IUIs for endo patients were about the same as timed intercourse. IVF has the highest success rates. For this reason (and my age) we decided to go straight to IVF. Just food for thought.

    Good luck Thursday! I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the info about IUI's vs IVF. I will be making that decision soon, since my surgery is on Friday. I have not had any immune testing done, and I think I will ask for that before starting IVF or any other treatments. All of this really sucks!
    Heather, I'm so sorry about your IVF miscarriage. That is so much worse than a plain old negative. I hope you are taking care of yourself and healing well.

    ReplyDelete