Thursday, December 3, 2009

Everything takes longer than you planned for

This morning I had to go have my preop labwork done and silly me, I thought it would be quick and easy. I went to the lab that opened the earliest, 7am, so that I could not be too late to work. I gave my lab requisition and insurance card to the front desk, and waited. 25 minutes later, I was told that oops, they don't do blood typing at this lab anymore, so I will have to go over to the hospital.

Side note here, I take my 3 dogs to work with me everyday, so they were in the car. The 2 little dogs are no problem, but we recently adopted a border collie that had been kicked by a cow and had a broken leg. He is not quite a year old. If anyone has ever owned or known a border collie, you will understand the insanity that he often creates in my life. Because of his very strong herding instincts, he really doesn't like any of his "herd" being away from him. I am part of his herd, and he just about loses his mind when I leave the car. The barking that ensues is embarrassing, to say the least. What can I say, we're working on this behavior.

So, instead of parking in the nice, quiet, empty parking lot of the lab, now I have to park on the busy street near the hospital. The whole time I am away from my car I am just hoping that no one calls the police or Animal Control. I wandered around the hospital that is being remodeled for a while trying to find the lab. When I did find it, they were very efficient and I had the best phlebotomist ever. Which was great, because by this time I am going to be much later for work than I had originally thought. Then, when I was leaving I was waiting for the elevator, and when the doors opened a mom and 4 small children exited. The smallest girl, who was about 4 was staring at me intently. I smiled and waved, and she smiled and waved back. I got in the elevator and stepped to the side to push the button for my floor. The doors are closing, and the next thing I know, that little girl is in the elevator with me! When the doors closed, she looked very concerned and surprised. My first thought was, oh my god I've abducted a child! It was too late to change the direction of the elevator, so we had to go down and back up again, where her mother was waiting. All she could say was "I don't know why she would do that!"

With my emotions running amok lately, it was all I could do not to burst into tears. I was just wishing I could have a small child of my own to follow me around all the time. Ugh, just can't get away from everything that reminds me of my problems. Maybe it was a good omen, I'd rather think of it that way.

1 comment:

  1. oh.. that had to be hard. What a funny old morning you had!

    ReplyDelete