Sunday, December 6, 2009

Post op

I actually have some good news from my surgery! Honestly, it's still hard for me to believe and accept, because I prepared myself for the worst.

The doctor said when he went in, one tube was already open (really?!?) and he was able to pass the cannula through my other tube. He was only able to get the dye to spill from one side though. I don't really know the significance of that, but I plan on asking him more about it at my follow up appointment. There were no fibroids or polyps, and everything inside my uterus looked fine. He did remove a bit of endometriosis and took care of some scarring and adhesions from my previous surgery.

I don't really remember talking to the doctor after surgery, but he told my husband and best friend that it was good news, he was very happy, and we would move on to the next step when I was healed.

Everyone at the surgical center was wonderful, I felt very well cared for. The only problem was my crappy veins. They couldn't get an IV catheter in, so finally the anesthesiologist got it in. I knew that was going to happen as I have the world's worst veins. I felt pretty crappy after I woke up and the next day. The worst part was that I was so incredibly tired but I couldn't actually fall asleep. My abdomen and shoulders were fairly uncomfortable. I didn't feel too nauseous, but I wasn't really hungry either. Peeing was a real bitch for the first day since they had placed a Foley urinary catheter. I was finally able to sleep last night, so I feel so much better today.

So, I don't know if it was the acupuncture, herbs, or prayers that opened up my tube, but I am very grateful! My husband is super optimistic that everything is going to work out now. I am more cautiously optimistic. I know how many things can go wrong, but I really want to be positive. When I have my follow up appointment, we are going to discuss the plan of action. When I asked prior to the surgery what the plan would be if he was able to open my tubes, he said he would probably recommend several stimulated IUI cycles first. I think we decided 3-4 would be our limit before we moved on to IVF. I think I am ok with this. If it works, that would be wonderful. If it doesn't, I don't feel like we have wasted too much time.

On a weird side note, 2 of our 3 dogs got sick (vomiting and diarrhea) the day of my surgery. I think they got themselves so worked up because they knew something was going on. Poor hubby has had to take care of me and them, and he doesn't have the strongest stomach when it comes to gross things.

My best friend has brought us homemade soup and has come by to take the crazy border collie for a walk every day so that none of us lose our minds. She is just awesome and I am so lucky to have her in my life. I feel very blessed by all the love and caring we have experienced from friends and family throughout this.

The Lord of the Rings is on TV (my favorite!) so I'm just going to veg out and fall asleep watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment